Land allottees decry loss of N81m to Obi’s govt

on   /   in News 8:33 pm   /   Comments

BY ENYIM ENYIM

ONITSHA — About 500 land allottees in Anambra State on Monday, protested the refusal of Governor Peter Obi’s government to approve before leaving office, the land allocated to them at the cost of N81 million by the Commissioner for Lands, Survey and Urban Development, Mr. Okoli Airika.

Addressing reporters in Awka, a spokesman for the group, Chief Cyril Nweke, who described the land allocation as a rip-off, said it was expected that Obi’s government should not have collected money from applicants when it knew it would not approve it before the end of its tenure.

”Anambra State government under Mr. Peter Obi, in August last year, advertised for applications for land allocation at the Hill Top, near NNPC, Awawbia, and the Business District, all in Awka and over 500 applicants met the criteria and were approved for land allocation by the Commissioner for Lands, Survey and Urban Development, Mr. Okoli Akirika,” he said.

He said the applicants were asked to pay N2,000 for structural plan, three years tax and N10,000 to APLUC,a state government agent, adding that each of the applicants paid N150,000 as tax.
He said:  “ We have completed all the processes required for the land allocation and the individual files of applicants as approved by the commissioner was pushed to Governor Obi, but he refused to sign the allocation files till this day of his exit from Government House.”

    Print       Email