Brazil 2014: Laloko calls for judicious use of FG’s N1.6 bn grant

on   /   in Sports 3:35 pm   /   Comments

Abeokuta – Former Technical Director, Nigeria Football Association (NFA), Chief Kasimawo Laloko, on Sunday advised the association to judiciously use the Federal Government’s grant for the execution of Super Eagles World Cup campaign in Brazil.

The Minister of Sports and Chairman, National Sports Commission, Malam Bolaji Abdullahi, last week confirmed the Federal Government’s approval of N1.6 billion for the Super Eagles campaign at the Brazil 2014 FIFA World Cup.

Laloko  in Abeokuta that the money should not be spent on a “jamboree”.

“For me, I think the reason the Federal Government has done this is to encourage the preparation of the NFA for Brazil 2014 but did they require a special grant?

“Are they going to use it well? What is special: a special grant for what?

“I hope that money will not serve as a jamboree to Brazil just for us to come home with nothing,” Laloko said.

He said there should be a clear-cut proposal on how the money should be spent.

“I will suggest strongly that the NFA should sit down and do proper planning and give us a proposal on how it will spend the money.

“If it’s a special grant, then we must know how they are going to spend it, but if it is just going to be the lavish way, we have been spending our money, it will not be nice.

“The money has come now, everybody in the NFA will be jostling for his or her way to Brazil and that will not help anybody,” he said.

On the invitation of Captain Joseph Yobo to the Super Eagles, Laloko said: “My answer is no! There’s so much pressure on Keshi to take Yobo. Yobo is overspent.

“Keshi would remember that I was the one who invited Yobo to Malaga to start his career and the year 2000 to date is 14 years.

“What is Yobo coming to do that he has not done. If he puts him in the team, he’ll regret it.

“The man is old. He has done enough and I think he should go and rest,” Laloko added. (NAN)

    Print       Email