Lagos – A teenager was on Sunday confirmed dead in an early morning fire, which razed some shanties in the Oworonshoki neighbourhood of Lagos State.
Mr Rasaq Fadipe, the Director of Lagos State Fire and Safety Service, confirmed the incident in an interview with the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) in Lagos.
He said that his men were mobilised to No. 35 Oke-Orin St, Oworonshoki, the scene of the incident, adding that when the firefighters arrived there, the teenager had already been burnt to death.
“It was so unfortunate that that we got a late call and by the time we got to the scene, the buildings in the compound, mainly wooden shanties, had been razed.
“A teenager was burnt to death in one of the razed buildings. We gathered that he was the only one at home as at the time of the incident, as his parents were away.
“We are yet to know why he was trapped and killed in the fire, while the occupants of other shanties within the same compound escaped unhurt,’’ he said.
Fadipe, who said the cause of the fire had yet to be ascertained, said that the victim’s corpse had been deposited at a hospital’s morgue.
He, nonetheless, advised residents to immediately notify emergency agencies as soon as fire broke out.
He warned the people against self-help efforts in such emergencies; saying that they should rather notify appropriate authorities so as to avoid preventable losses.
Besides, Fadipe warned the residents that fire spread faster during the Harmattan season, urging them to take precautions against fire outbreaks, particularly during the dry season.
He said that his men had responded to five different fire outbreaks within the last 24 hours, which included the one at a male hostel at Oriwu College, Ikorodu, on Saturday. (NAN)