NYG: Boxing coaches threaten boycott over ineligible athlete

on   /   in Sports 9:34 pm   /   Comments

There was a mild drama on Wednesday at the boxing arena of the on-going National Youth Games (NYG) in Abuja as boxing coaches threatened to boycott their bouts.

The uproar was as a result of the continuous fielding of an ineligible boxer, Abdullahi Sani, from Kano state.

It was understood that Sani had been fielded by his coach, Shehu Ubale, in a male 51 kg quarter-final bout against Egbulonu Nnamdi from Abia whom he (Sani) eventually beat.

Isaac Ekpo (L) Super Middle Weight Boxing Champion with his Coach, Seidu Kalifa, in training  at the National Stadium In Lagos recently.

Isaac Ekpo (L) Super Middle Weight Boxing Champion with his Coach, Seidu Kalifa, in training at the National Stadium In Lagos recently.

But his ineligibility was not noticed then by his opponent and games officials.

However, Sani went on to step into the ring for a semi-finals bout against Lawson Shakini from Osun, thus sparking off a protest by other coaches.

Amade Idenyi, President, Nigeria Boxing Coaches Association (NBCA) said that Sani’s coach, Ubale had violated the coaches’ agreement for the games.

According to Idenyi, the coaches had agreed to impose a five-year ban on any of their members who fielded an ineligible boxer at the games.

“Ubale now faces a five-year ban. Even Kano state may be banned from the boxing event of the 2014 National Sports Festival if nothing is done by the Nigeria Boxing Federation (NBF) about the protest,” he said.

The coach also said Olusola Luke, the NBF secretary, had been duly briefed on the matter.

Mustapha Osho, the NBCA Welfare Officer said that the boxer too might be given a life ban.

 

    Print       Email