BY GBENGA ARIYIBI
ADO EKITI — For failure to formally report the alleged invasion of health centre by suspected ritualists, Ekiti State Police has threatened to summon the management of the centre for questioning
A health centre located at Irona, Ado Ekiti, was said to have been invaded by men suspected to be ritualists looking for day-old babies, last weekend
Police image maker in the state, Mr Victor Babayemi, in his reaction lamented that the management of the health centre was yet to formally report the matter at the state police headquarters.
Speaking with newsmen in Ado Ekiti, Babayemi expressed worry over the hospital management’s action.
His words: “We want to ask them why they did not find it necessary to report a grievous incident of this nature to the police. No official report had been made by the medical officials in any police station in connection with the incident.”
He branded the incident as “too grievous and frightening.”
Babayemi said the command had sent out its detectives to make findings and gather information on how to bring the perpetrators to book.
Meanwhile, activities, Monday, returned to the beleaguered Basic Health Centre.
Council suspends night duty at the centre
However, the Chairman of Ado Ekiti Local Government, Hon Tope Olanipekun has suspended night duty in the health centre pending the time security would be reinforced.
The chairman said the council would raise the perimeter fence and construct the gate in a manner that would guarantee security.
He confirmed the incident, saying: “This is a new twist to crime in the area.”
Olanipekun, who claimed to have visited the hospital, described the incident as “highest point of callousness on the part of the perpetrators.”