Breaking News
Translate

Anambra Governorship Election: Ngige, Nwoye, Ubah reject election

*Call for cancellation

By Tony Edike

AWKA -The three governorship candidates of PDP, APC and LP, Tony Nwoye, Chris Ngige and Ifeanyi Ubah vowed last night to reject whatever result that would be announced by INEC from Saturday and Sunday gubernatorial elections in
Anambra State.

At a joint news conference addressed at 8pm at Finotel Hotel, Awka, Senator Ngige presented the official position of the three contestants on the election.

The three candidates who had earlier in the day expressed their dissatisfaction with the outcome of the election which is yet to be announced by INEC as at press time last night.

From Left; Labour Party candidate, Dr. Ifeanyi Ubah, All Progress Congress candidate Dr Chris Ngige and People Democratic Party candidate Comrade Tony Nwoye at a joint press conference by the three candidates in Awka, Sunday.
From Left; Labour Party candidate, Dr. Ifeanyi Ubah, All Progress Congress candidate Dr Chris Ngige and People Democratic Party candidate Comrade Tony Nwoye at a joint press conference by the  candidates in Awka, Sunday.

Ngige said: “Our stand is that Saturday election was characterized by fraud, malpractices and massive irregularities and we call on INEC to put in place another process to conduct a fresh election to enable the people of Anambra elect their governor that will take over from the present governor on March 17 next year.

“The irregularities clearly noticed included the omission of the names of many voters in the registers presented for the election in the over 4,000 polling units.

We were assured that the process will be free and fair during the stake holder’s meeting with the INEC Chairman, Prof Attahiru Jega, but little did we know that they had planned to disenfranchise many of our supporters by deleting their names from the register everywhere in the local government areas. It was so massive and we hereby reject the voters registers used for this election.

“We were assured by the INEC chairman that the electoral process would be transparent but we experienced was to the contrary.

“Thirdly we discovered that result sheets were translocated other than the purpose for which they were meant. For instance some result sheets meant for some polling booths in Idemili were taken to another area even when they were coded.

“There were massive. harassment and intimidation of voters and our party agents. The party agents’ accreditation cards were described as fake and they were hounded out hence we had no agents at most poling booths.

“There was massive deployment of money by APGA through its serving commissioners, party chieftains, contractors and some other individuals who were deployed to pay each voter as much as N10,000 to vote for APGA.

“Having noticed the various flaws …we have come to inevitable conclusion that this commission is determine to go back to its old ways and that the much gains made in 2011 election is being reversed.

“We therefore urge the INEC to cancel the charade called election conducted in Anambra and deploy transparent officials including a new Resident Electoral Commissioner, REC to conduct a fresh election in the state.

“No election result should be announced as the elections have not been concluded. What they are doing now is an exercise in futility.

“We are peace-loving people in Anambra state and they should not provoke the people to violence. A word is enough for the wise.”

Both Ubah and Nwoye said they all agreed to take a common position on the issue, insisting that the election should be cancelled.


Disclaimer

Comments expressed here do not reflect the opinions of vanguard newspapers or any employee thereof.