BY IFEANYI OKOLIE & ANGELA OKPE
LAGOS— A 77-year-old man, Vincent Agbare, has been reportedly killed in an inferno that gutted his two-storey building apartment at 84, Osho Drive Street, Olodi-Apapa, Lagos, leaving property worth millions destroyed.
An eyewitness told Vanguard that the fire started from a burning candle from Agbare’s living room, before spreading to other parts of the building.
The eyewitness, who identified himself as Shola Akinjobi, added that the septuagenarian was sleeping alone in the apartment, when the fire started Tuesday night, and that he was burnt beyond recognition.
While confirming the report, the Lagos State Fire Service Director, Razaq Fadipe, said men from the state fire service were at the scene to put off the fire and prevent it from spreading to adjoining buildings.
Fadipe said: “Investigations have shown that Mr. Agbare could not escape from the building, when the fire started, because the building has only one escape route and was covered by the fire.
“I want to advise Lagosian to always ensure they create alternative routes in their buildings that will serve as escape route during emergencies.
“I also want to advise members of the public to endeavour to have fire extinguishers in their apartments. Lastly people should stop using candles, because they may not be awake when it would have burnt out.”