BY DAYO JOHNSON
AKURE — POLICE authori-ties in Ondo State, yesterday, said 54 of the 175 prisoners that escaped in a jail-break, Sunday, have been re-arrested and returned to the prison custody.
This is coming as it condemned reports of deaths in the jail break as unethical.
A statement by the image maker of the command, Wole Ogodo, in Akure, yesterday, said the fleeing prisoners were picked up in neighbouring villages and towns.
Ogodo declined to give further information on the arrest of the prisoners but Vanguard gathered from reliable sources that immediately they were set free by the bandits that bombed the prison cells they headed for brothels where many of them were picked up.
It was gathered that following tip-off by some village heads in nearby villages and towns, the police swooped on the escapees.
Ogodo who confirmed that some of the prisoners were re-arrested in brothels and neighbouring towns of Owo, Ondo, Idanre and Akure the state capital, added that they had been returned to the Olokuta prison yard.
Investigation revealed that those that were picked up in brothels were more than 20 in number..
Vanguard gathered that the proprietors of the brothels on seeing the swam of customers that invaded the call girls immediately notified the police and they were subsequently arrested.
It was learnt that the tattered dresses of the prisoners gave them out when they visited the brothels.
No death was recorded —Police
Meantime, Ogodo in the statement in Akure clarifying the issue of death reported by some media outfits said: “The publication is complete misrepresentation of the facts of the incident as no such dead was recorded during the jail-break because the attack on the prison was aimed at liberating some members of their gang who were in custody.
“No death was recorded either on the side of the security agents, inmate or any traveller.
“Members of the press are hereby advised to crosscheck their information before publication.”