Father, son electrocuted in Abeokuta
BY DAUD OLATUNJI
ABEOKUTA—Tragedy struck, on Sunday, when a police officer, Sunday Joseph and his 17-year-old adopted son, Moses were electrocuted at a construction site in front of the governor’s house at Oke-Igbein, Abeokuta, the state capital.
An eyewitness told Vanguard that the boy who lived in the Police Barracks at Oke-Igbein, was an orphan who lost his father in a robbery attack .
The source explained that Moses had gone to the construction site to scavenge for iron rods from the rubble and died on his way back home when the rods he gathered suddenly touched a high tension cable which shocked him to death.
Vanguard further gathered that in a bid to rescue him, Joseph, who was reported to have been taking care of him since the death of his father lost his life too.
He was reported to have been called by one of the witnesses at the scene of the incident. According to the witness, he was shocked when he saw the boy’s body on the ground and made for the lifeless body which was still in contact with the life wire.
According to the finding, Joseph reportedly rushed to rescue of the boy and got entrapped as he touched the boy’s body which led to his death too.
The eyewitness stated that Joseph arrived the scene in a Volkswagen Golf with number plate Lagos FB 359 APP and had been earlier prevented by his friends who had besieged the scene. He suddenly disengaged his hands and got trapped in the high tension cable.
Attempt to rush him to the hospital failed as his car which was the only available car at the scene couldn’t start due to the security mechanism fixed in it leading to his death few minutes later.
The remains of the two victims were said to have been taken to the morgue at the StateHospital in Ijaye, Abeokuta.
Vanguard, however, gathered that the Secretary to Ogun State Government, Taiwo Adeoluwa led some government officials to the house of the deceased where he reportedly promised government’s assistance to the family.
Also, a government delegation headed by a Senior Special Assistant to Ogun State Governor, Patrick Akinduro visited the family on Monday to condole with them. Akinduro assured of government’s readiness to assist the family members on the burial arrangement, adding that the government should be informed when they are ready for the burial.
When contacted, the Public Affairs Manager of PHCN in Abeokuta Districts, Richard Oyewole, said that investigation would be conducted on the matter.
He said: “I have contacted some of our field officers, and like you are aware, yesterday was Sunday and normally if the construction companies are to work on any area, they will request for outage. But as we speak, there was no outage permit granted by our company.
“We are still investigating and we are going to make announcement later on the issue. We don’t grant outages on frivolities, normally, our line supposed to be on 24 hours unless there is a fault or an accident and what we can do is to isolate that area to prevent life being lost because any outage will put a lot of people into darkness”.
Ogun State Police Public Relations Officer, Muyiwa Adejobi could not be reached as at the time of filing the report.