British singer Amy Winehouse killed by alcohol poisoning – inquest
LONDON (AFP) – A second inquest into the death of troubled British singer Amy Winehouse confirmed Tuesday that she died of accidental alcohol poisoning.
The same verdict of death by misadventure was given at a re-hearing of the inquest which was ordered after it emerged that the first, in October 2011, was heard by a coroner who did not have the correct qualifications.
Grammy award winner Winehouse was found dead at her north London home on July 23, 2011, following years of drug and alcohol addiction. She was 27.
The inquest at St Pancras Coroner’s Court in London heard the same evidence as the original inquest.
Winehouse had 416 milligrammes of alcohol per decilitre of blood in her system — more than five times the British legal driving limit of 80mg.
Coroner Shirley Radcliffe said the soul singer died from “alcohol toxicity”, adding that it was “a level of alcohol commonly associated with fatality”.
She said Winehouse “voluntarily consumed alcohol” and added that “two empty vodka bottles were on the floor” beside her bed when her body was discovered.