UNILag medical hostel gutted by fire

on   /   in Finance 12:07 am   /   Comments

Property worth million of naira were destroyed in a fire incident which gutted the male hostel of the college of medicine, University of Lagos Teaching Hospital, Idi-Araba.

The fire which started at about 10.am on Wednesday from room 648 spread to room 647 on the third floor of Block6, Alliakilu Hostel.

One of the occupants of the room 648 who said that he was not able to save their property, stated that around 10.am,he was playing football when he saw some students running all over the place. “On getting there, I noticed that it was, my room that was on fire, I tried to put out the fire, but it was so intense that it soon spread to the next room. The fire was raging because we couldn’t get fire extinguisher which was in the hostel manager’s room.

“Also, there was no water on the floor ,so we had to go down stairs to get water which we used in putting off the fire. The student added that some minutes later, they were able to get fire extinguishers and attempted to put off the fire.”

It was gathered that a commercial motorcycle operator, who had come to assist in dousing the flames sustained eye injury and was immediately rushed to LUTH which is within the premises. Fire service men arrived about an hour after the students had almost quenched the fire.

Henry who is another occupant of room 648 said, that this was the third time there has been fire incident. He noted that, although the immediate cause could not be ascertained, it could likely be due to power fluctuation.

“According to him, there were electric sparks in the room sometime early this year (April) while we were attempting to install a ceiling fan. Some wire got burnt in the process, a few months back, a socket in the room sparked and it caused a blackout on the whole floor. After that incident, engineers came to repair it but since then, no permanent solution has been found. The engineers demanded money for the repair from us and after giving them they did not solve the problem”.

He blamed the school authorities for not providing enough fire fighting equipment; he stressed that, the occupants of room 607were a bid lucky to salvage their personal effects.

“My SSSCE Certificate, my N25, ooo, Lapton and other valuables were consumed in the inferno”.

Mr.Olusesan Odejimi, Public Relations Officer (PRO) of the college said “only two rooms were affected and not the entire building, there was no form casualty.” He stated.

    Print       Email