By Dayo Johnson, Akure
ONDO State government weekend described as wicked the allegation by the opposition political parties in the state that it will abandon projects in local government not won by Governor Olusegun Mimiko in the October 20 election.
One of the political parties in the state alleged that the governor would pay back the councils where he lost during the election by abandoning projects initiated there.
Speaking in Owo, the Works Commissioner, Mr. Gboye Adegbenro, said the allegation was cheap, malicious and uncivilised.
Adegbenro was in the town to inspect the N5.5billion dualisation, by the Mimiko administration there.
He said: “Despite the fact that we lost Owo to the can, the contractor handling the road project has returned to site.
“We asked the contractors in the state to move to site last week
and maximize the dry season and to my greatest surprise this morning, this contractor is living up to expectation. They have put stone base on about 2.3km of one section of the road which is 4km stretch and had done 1.2km of piling, what the section requires now is asphalt.
“All things being equal, within the dry season, we would, by the end of January, deliver the first phase of the project. That is, the section from the starting point to the roundabout in the market, will be inaugurated in February.
“We inherited 18 km surfaced-dressed road network in Owo local government from the previous administration. By the 2011 budget we did 11.6km road network and at this moment, we had completed the second phase of the asphalt overlay. At the moment, we do not have any on-going internal road project in Owo apart from the dualisation”.