Gas explosion victims take case to Labour Minister

on   /   in News 12:53 am   /   Comments

By  Emma  Arubi

WARRI – SURVIVING victims of the January 16, 2012 gas explosion involving Chevron’s KS Endeavour Rig at the Funiwa North Apoi Field in Bayelsa State, have dragged the oil giant before the Labour Minister, 10 months after the gory incident, alleging unfair labour practices, neglect and total abandonment.

Union officials of led by Mr. Mike Oru and David Onofomi told Vanguard, yesterday, in Warri, Delta State that the management of Chevron had earlier claimed that the Warri Labour office was not secure, conducive and safe enough to engage in any meaningful dialogue considering the vex nature of the issues involved and the hostile attitude of the affected workers who lost two of their colleagues to the explosion.

Oru revealed that both the management of Chevron and Fode are denying responsibility for the blow-out that reduced the rig to rubbles in an inferno that lasted 42-days, saying that all the survivors have been left to their fate with no job, salary, pay-off or compensation of any kind and their families suffering untold hardship.

Zonal Chairmen of PENGASSEN and NUPENG, Comrades Elvis Irefo and Edmond Ofudje who spoke to Vanguard  said that their up coming meeting with Labour Minister in Abuja would determine their next line of action.

    Print       Email