ACCRA – (AFP) – The death toll following the collapse of a six-storey mall in the Ghanaian capital Accra climbed to nine on Thursday, with at least 67 people so far pulled alive from the rubble, a military official said.
“As of now, we have so far got 76 people, nine of whom unfortunately lost their lives, so we are still going on,” Dan Mishio, director general of operations in the Ghana military.
The previous death toll was three, with 51 rescued alive.
An 18-strong search team from Israel was due in the West African nation later Thursday to help with the rescue effort as Ghanaian authorities used concrete cutters and other equipment to clear away debris.
It was not clear how many people were inside the building when it collapsed ahead of opening time on Wednesday. Police had initially said around 50 employees worked there, but the number of people located has far exceeded that.