…Says, Nigeria’s military cannot defeat his sect
Leader of the militant Islamic sect, Jama’atu Ahlus Sunnah Lid Da’awati Wal Jihad, popularly known as Boko Haram, has broken his silence and revealed why his organisation has continued to attack government agencies and Christians in the country.
In a message posted on YouTube, Shekau said the recent attacks carried out by his sect were revenge attack s over the killing of Muslim in Jos and other northern states.
In the 15-minute video, in Hausa language, titled “Message to Jonathan 1″ Shekau, wearing a red and white turban, a bullet-proof vest,with two Kalashnikov rifles, at the background, warned President Jonathan that the government forces would not be able to defeat his militant sect.
The Iman Abubakar Shekau
Imam Abubakar Shekau was the second-in-command to Mohammed Yusuf, who was killed by the police in July last year after days of fighting between security forces and the sect’s followers.
The police said in 2009 that Shekau was shot dead in the clashes. But a 25-minute video clip, shot on April 19 and obtained by the media showed Shekau answering questions from a journalist at his hideout believed to be in Maiduguri.
Proclaiming himself as leader of the sect, Shekau said during the interview that with the death of the former leader, he “being the deputy (to Yusuf), stepped in and assumed leadership to continue in the pursuit of religious knowledge.” Shekau was, besides being a second-in-command of the sect, the most influential and feared member of the Boko Haram group.