Samuel Eto’o ready to sign for Anzhi Makhachkala

on   /   in Sports 2:03 pm   /   Comments

MOSCOW (AFP) – Cameroon striker Samuel Eto’o has agreed terms with Anzhi Makhachkala and is on the verge of joining the ambitious southern Russian club from Inter Milan, a Russian news report said on Thursday.

More so Liverpool and  Newcastle agreed too for the transfer of Spanish defender Jose Enrique, the club confirmed Thursday

The LifeNews.ru website said the 30-year-old had agreed the terms of his contract and would be signing the deal after passing a medical.

“The last formalities of the contract have been ironed out,” the website quoted a Russian agent with knowledge of the situation as saying.

The website had earlier said Anzhi would be paying Inter a transfer fee of about 40 million euros ($57 million) and the player 15 million euros ($21 million) per season.

There was no official reaction from the club and the report did not specify the length of the contract. Anzhi was believed to have been offering Eto’o a three-year deal while the player was seeking four.

Inter Milan president Massimo Moratti had on Wednesday said he was ready to consider an “interesting” offer for Eto’o from Anzhi.

Eto’o finished as Inter’s top scorer last season and helped the club win the treble the year before. But the Serie A giants are said to be pushing to sell him in order to finance a bid for Manchester City’s Carlos Tevez.

Makhachkala is the capital of Dagestan — one of Russia’s most dangerous and unstable regions that sits to the east of war-torn Chechnya.

But that has not stopped Brazilian World Cup winner Roberto Carlos and Russian international winger Yuri Zhirkov from joining the club. The club’s players live and train in the Moscow region and fly in for home matches.

Also Liverpool agreed a fee with Newcastle for the transfer of Spanish defender Jose Enrique, the club confirmed Thursday.

Liverpool said in a statement they were now negotiating personal terms with Enrique, who is expected to undergo a medical later Thursday.

Enrique, 25, joined Newcastle from Villarreal in 2007 and has emerged as a key figure in the Magpies defence.

However the former Spanish under-21 international recently incurred the wrath of Newcastle manager Alan Pardew after openly criticising the club’s transfer policy on Twitter.

Enrique had said Newcastle’s recent transfer deals were undermining the club’s chances of challenging for honours in the Premier League.

    Print       Email