The fall of the mighty

on   /   in Politics 1:12 am   /   Comments

By Chioma Gabriel, Deputy Editor

How Alao Akala, Olurin, Akunyili, Doma, Akogun  were humbled in April 26 elections
The list of once mighty politicians/political office holders sent into political siberia in the just concluded elections grew in length on Thursday when most of the results of the governorship, house of assembly and in some cases national assembly elections were released.

Tunji Olurin

The addition to the list include former military governor of the old Oyo Sate and later Administrator of Ekiti State, General Tunji Olurin; former governor of Ekiti State, Mr. Ayo Fayose; Oyo State governor, Otunba Adebayo Alao-Akala; Governor Gbenga Daniel of Ogun State; former NAFDAC DG, Professor Dora Akunyili; Senator Gbemisola Saraki; former governor of Oyo State, Alhaji Rasidi Ladoja; Leader House of Reps, Hon. Tunde Akogun and Speaker of the Edo State House of Assembly, Mr. Bright Omokhodion.

Otunba Alao Akala

The election also compounded the woes of former President Olusegun Obasanjo who, in three straight elections, could not deliver his ward to the PDP.

Others on the losing side this time around are the deputy governor of Plateau State, Mrs Pauline Tallen; Senator John Shagaya; Chief Great Ogboru, Chief Edwin Clark, and Chief Olabode George.

Chief  Obasanjo’s PDP lost at his Ward 11, Unit 14 Totoro-Sokori area of Abeokuta where the ACN scored 179 votes in the governorship election to beat PDP. In the House of Assembly election, Obasanjo also lost in his ward with the PDP scoring 57 and the ACN.  Obasanjo’s candidate, Tunji Olurin lost to ACN’s Ibikunle Amosun. Amosun scored 377,487 of the total votes of 764,384.  Olurin choice came a distant second with 188,698 votes while Isiaka of Governor Daniel’s PPN got 137,051 to come third.

Also fallen is  Segun Kolade Okeowo,  son of former students leader and chairman, Ogun State Teachers Service Commission, Segun Okeowo.

Segun Kolade Okeowo contested in Sagamu, Ogun State Constituency 2, on the platform of Peoples Party of Nigeria.
In Oyo State, the incumbent Governor Christopher Alao Akala, lost to ACN’s Senator Ajimobi .Sen. Abiola Ajomobi of ACN won in Oyo State with the following figures.

Accord party=275,773
PDP= 387,132
ACN=420,862  WINNER

In Anambra, Dr Chris Ngige of ACN defeated former Information and Communication Minister Dora Akunyili of the  All Progressive Grand Alliance(APGA) in Anambra Central Senatorial race. The election took place in some wards of the senatorial districts where the INEC ordered a rerun. The Returning Officer, Prof. Charles Esimone, said Ngige polled 69,765 votes to defeat former Minister of Information, Prof. Dora Akunyili of All Progressive Grand Alliance, who scored 69,292 votes.

In Ekiti State, former governor Ayo Fayose  the Labour Party, LP, Senatorial candidate for Ekiti Central Senatorial District, Ayo Fayose  lost out to ace journalist Babafemi Ojudu in the National Assembly election  conducted by the Independent National Electoral Commission, INEC, on Tuesday .

Fayose rejected the results saying they did not represent the true position of the minds of the masses within the senatorial district. Babafemi Ojudu obtained a total number of 67, 747 votes while Fayose garnered  29, 773 leaving the PDP candidate, Mr. Kayode Alufa, who got 29, 488 in the third position.

In Edo State, what looked like a political eclipse befell two prominent political figures- the House of Representatives Leader, Hon. Tunde Akogun (rtd) and the Speaker, Edo State House of Assembly, Hon. Bright Omokhodion – as the two kissed the dust during Tuesday’s House of Assembly and Akoko-Edo Federal Constituency elections in Edo State.

Omokhodion who contested in Esan West lost to Monday Orhue of the Peoples Democratic Party. Omokhodion polled 11,122 to Orhue’s 15, 506 votes while House Leader Tunde Akogun lost to former President of  NUPENG, Comrade Peter Akpatason in the House of Representatives contest.

In Nasarawa State, the incumbent  Governor Aliyu Akwe Doma of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) was defeated by Alhaji Umaru Tanko Al-Makura of the Congress for  Progressive Change (CPC). The Returning Officer for the state, Dr. Adamu Muhammed said Al-Makura of the CPC polled 324,832 votes to defeat Doma, who scored 320,538 votes.

Print       Email