Breaking News
Translate

FG to concession railways

 Abuja -The Federal Government is to concession the existing network of narrow gauge railways after their full rehabilitation, Transport Minister Yusuf Suleiman has said.

Suleiman announced the plan in Abuja, Friday when he presented the transport ministry’s 2010 scorecard at a media briefing.

He said the ministry was collaborating with the Infrastructure Concession Regulatory Commission and the Bureau for Public Procurement to develop a sound concessioning plan for the railways.

The minister said the rehabilitation would cover the eastern, western and central railway networks covering Port Harcourt to Maiduguri, Lagos to Kano and Itakpe in Kogi to Warri in Delta through Ajaokuta, also in Kogi.

He also said that the Nigerian Railway Corporation, NRC had trained its engineers in diesel locomotive technology in South Africa.

The NRC was partnering with some states and other stakeholders to offer some services, Suleiman said, adding that rail services within the Kaduna metropolis had been operational since 2008.


Disclaimer

Comments expressed here do not reflect the opinions of vanguard newspapers or any employee thereof.