Breaking News
Translate

We killed the guber candidate, 6 others – Boko Haram

MAIDUGUR I— A RADICAL Muslim sect, Boko Haram, yesterday, claimed responsibility for the assassination of Borno State gubernatorial candidate for the All Nigeria’s Peoples Party, ANPP, Alhaji Modu Fannami Gubio.

This was even as another police officer was killed, yesterday, in Maiduguri less than 24 hours after a police officer was killed in the town.

In posters put up in Maiduguri, Borno State capital, Boko Haram also claimed responsibility for a series of other attacks, warning that members of the sect plan to launch “a full_scale war.”

The group also has been accused of carrying out motorcycle_mounted attacks against policemen in the area. The group’s claim of responsibility for seven recent killings appeared in posters at the post office, railway station and other locales in Maiduguri on Wednesday.

The poster stated: “We are, therefore, calling on Muslims in this part of the world to be wary because very soon, we would launch a full_scale war. We also call on the people not to sit close to where security agents or politicians are living because such people are behind the illegalities being meted on the Muslims.”Vanguard learnt that it was not the first time such posters had been put up in the area with Boko Haram’s message. In October, similar posters warned the public against assisting the police or going near soldiers guarding the town at night.

Gunmen kill another police officer in Borno

Less than 24 hours after a senior police officer was killed in Maiduguri, another officer was shot dead , Tuesday night in Biu, Biu Local Government Area of Borno.

It was gathered that the officer, a constable, was shot dead at about 11:00 p.m. while on duty at the residence of the Divisional Police Officer, DPO, in the area.

Mallam Lawal Abdullahi, the Public Relations Officer of Borno Police command, confirmed the incident yesterday. He said the constable was shot by gunmen on motor bikes who had attacked the DPO’s residence at night.

The police spokesman said the officer, died on the spot, adding: “Upon receiving the report of the incident, the police mobilised and chased the unknown gunmen. Unfortunately, they escaped after a long chase.’’ Abdullahi said the command had commenced full-scale investigation with a view to arresting the culprits.

Police arraign 28 suspects over Tafawa Balewa mayhem

The Bauchi State Police Command has arraigned 28 suspects for allegedly participating in the killing of some victims and destruction of property during the January 27 mayhem in Tafawa Balewa, Bauchi.

The suspects, led by Paul Luka and 27 others, were alleged to have conspired and killed some innocent victims and destroyed property worth millions of naira.

The Prosecutor, Mr. Sabon_Kasuwa Husseini, told the Chief Magistrate’s Court that the suspects committed the offence with the connivance of one Mustafa Adamu, alias “Black” Usuman Musa and Dang Ayuba, all of Tafawa Balewa Local Government Area, now at large.

The Chief Magistrate, Mr Aliyu Usman, adjourned the case till March 1, and ordered that the suspects be remanded in prison custody.

Killings in Jos must stop—Chief of Army Staff

Meanwhile, the Chief of Army Staff, Lt.Gen. Azubuike Ihejirika has challenged members of the Special Task Force, STF, maintaining security in the Plateau State to end the recurring violence in the state saying the killings must stop.

Addressing the new set of 870 officers and men deployed in the state for the security operation, yesterday, Ihejirika said they must do more to check the violence by being proactive rather than being reactive.


Disclaimer

Comments expressed here do not reflect the opinions of vanguard newspapers or any employee thereof.