Breaking News
Translate

Falcons disbanded, resume camping in 3 weeks

Abuja-The Super Falcons camp will resume in the third week of February as soon as the Nigeria Football Association (NFA) approves its technical crew’s programme for the second phase of camping.

Dr Emmanuel Ikpeme, the NFA’s Deputy Secretary-General (Technical) said on Thursday in Abuja that the exact date for the resumed camping would be decided “very soon”.

The camp was disbanded on Thursday morning in Abuja after two weeks of training and three friendly matches.

Ikpeme said that details of the team’s second phase of camping would only be determined after the NFA Technical Department had deliberated on the report of the first phase.

“The camp has just been disbanded and we are awaiting the team coaches’ report. But as soon as we have it, we will decide on what is going to happen.

“But it is certain that the camp will resume in the third week of February,” he said.

The NFA had invited 23 players, including eight based abroad, to camp in Abuja for the first phase of preparations for the 2011 FIFA Women’s World Cup finals.

Ikpeme, however, gave assurance that the camp would involve a mixture of players identified at the first phase of camping and those who were in the team to the last African Women Championship (AWC).

The Falcons had won the seventh edition of the AWC held last November in South Africa, dethroning Equatorial Guinea to earn Nigeria’s sixth championship title.

“The just disbanded camp was basically to screen new players. It was for players identified from the last Falconets and Flamingoes teams to the last FIFA Under-20 and Under-17 World Cups respectively, held last year.

“These players, as well as some foreign-based players and a few others on the local scene, were identified but could not be part of the team to South Africa in the long run due to time constraints then and some other matters.

“They were all given a chance in the just disbanded camp and for now, it is only when we receive the coaches’ report that we can tell which of them will be returning for the second phase of the camping,” Ikpeme said.

The NFA deputy secretary-general said the new phase of camping would also entail pruning down the squad to the required size ahead of the final preparation for the World Cup.

“The second phase of camping will see the team being pruned down for the qualifiers to the 10th All-Africa Games in Maputo, Mozambique, and the 2012 Olympics in London.

“This group of players will also be used to prosecute the friendlies lined up for the team ahead of the 2011 Women’s World Cup in Germany, as well as the proposed training tour of Europe,” he said.

The Falcons had concluded the first phase of camping with a 1-0 friendly match win over the FCT Queens of Abuja on Wednesday. (NAN)


Disclaimer

Comments expressed here do not reflect the opinions of vanguard newspapers or any employee thereof.