By Dayo Johnson
AKURE—A Labour Party, LP, Senatorial aspirant in the Southern senatorial district of Ondo State, Mr. Boluwaji Kunlere, narrowly escaped death by the whiskers as gunmen invaded his residence located along Oda road in Akure metropolis.
Vanguard learnt that the gunmen arrived his residence around 1.55 am after scaling the fence through the aid of a tree behind his house.
Kunlere was a former Special Adviser to Governor Olusegun Mimiko on Political Affairs before he resigned in August to contest for the Senate.
Contacted, the Acting spokesperson of the State Police command, Mr. Wole Ogodo confirmed the incident, saying “the matter is under investigation.”
Vanguard gathered that the quick intervention of the security guards and dogs saved the aspirant as they raised alarm on noticing strange movement around the aspirant’s compound.
On sighting the security guards, the gunmen reportedly fired gunshots at them and the guards replied.
The gunmen reportedly took to their heels after noticing that the security guards were up to the task
Hon Kunlere had been a victim of several attacks following his senatorial ambition. Yesterday’s attack was the forth.
He was first attacked in 2006 while planning to decamp to the ruling LP in the state.
Narrating his ordeal to reporters, Hon Kunlere said that the attack on his residence was political motivated, stressing that some people have been sending threat text messages to his perceived supporters.
According to him “Around 1.55 am on Wednesday morning while the guards and the dogs were moving round, some gunmen climbed the tree behind my house to gain entry into the building.
Immediately they sighted the guards, the opened fire into the compound. They later jumped down and took to their heels where it was discovered that they parked a vehicle 200 meter ways. While trying to escape one of the robbers jumped into the compound of block making industry and destroyed some of the blocks”.
Kunlere alleged that no fewer than seven of his close associates which include his driver, personal assistant have been threatened through text messages.
He pointed out that “The attack on me is political motivated, my friends and supporters have been threatened through text messages. My Driver, Saheed Jimoh and my supporters Like Barrister Remi Olatubora, Lanre Adebowale, Idowu Ogunmade are few out of those who are being threatened by this faceless people”.
The aspirant however thanked the men of the state police command and officers of the Special Anti Robber Squad for their timely response.
“The Police need to be commended for their quick response unlike in 2006 that they did not respond to our calls when some hoodlums came to my house and attack my family members including my wife”.
The LP Chieftain however tasked police authorities to probe the attack on his house and the threat text messages being sent to his supporters so that their lives can be saved from this faceless group.
According to him, the police must not wait to his case is turned to another case of unresolved murders before apprehending those behind the attack.
‘In as much as I will like to praise the Nigerian police, I will urge the State police commissioner and the higher authorities not to allow my case to be another unresolved murder case like that of Bola Ige, Alfred Rewane, Kudirat Abiola Dele Giwa, Dipo Dina and Funsho Williams
‘A stitch in time says nine, the police must do everything in their capacity to unravel those behind this so called d attack on me”,