Breaking News
Translate

BPE commits N176.334bn to workers’ benefits in 10 yrs

By Victor Ahiuma-Young

BUREAU for Public Enterprises (BPE) has said it has committed a whopping N176.334billion to settling liabilities of workers mainly salary arrears and terminal benefits between 2000 till date.

A break down of the amount shows that Salary arrears gulped N13.756 billion, while N162.577 billion was used to settle terminal benefits.

At a workshop with Labour Correspondents in Lagos, Director of BPE, Mrs BPE, Bolanle Onagoruwa, said the Bureau would in the first week next month (December 2010)  take the first practical step towards the  privatisation of the Power Holding Company of Nigeria (PHCN) by advertising for an expression of interest by core investors in the company.

This is as the Nigerian Electricity Regulatory Commission (NERC) is set to review of the sector in 2011.
According to her, the planned advertising for an expression of interest by core investors was line with the ongoing effort by the Federal Government to reform the power sector and make it more attractive to investors.

She explained that under the reform programme, the Federal Government plans to relinquish 51 percent of its holding in PHCN to a core investor who will take over the management of the company and the  remaining 49 percent holding may be thrown up for grabs  by interested state governments and Nigerian workers especially those in the power sector.

According to her, the actual bidding for the 51 percent equity holding being offered to interested core investors may likely take place in May/June 2011. The government had earlier unbundled the company-breaking into 18 successor companies

Mrs. Onagoruwa said: “The fact is that due to the structure of the electricity industry, it is not possible for private operators to build their distribution facilities to compete with the extant distribution network of Power Holding Company of Nigeria (PHCN.).  It is important to note that the technology in power generation allows for many participants unlike the technology for transmission and distribution networks. One can set up separate generating plants using any fuel source (hydro, gas, coal, etc) that is economically viable. At any point, you can have many players.

Transmission network is such that it is a natural monopoly given that you cannot ask every operator to build its own transmission network. It is uneconomic, not sensible and, in the end, counterproductive.”

She explained that the design of the Nigerian Electricity Supply Industry (NESI) is such that the Transmission Service Provider (TSP) should give equal access to generators in accordance with laid down rules, adding it is in order to initiate this that the Federal Government has retained ownership of the transmission network.

Explaining further, she said “the distribution component of the electricity industry structure also shares the element of monopoly with the transmission component. In Nigeria, the distribution network has been split into eleven companies. So asking all the  generators to build different distribution networks as done by NESCO in Jos is wasteful and will make  Nigerian consumers pay the unnecessarily high electricity tariffs.

Indeed, the Electric Power Sector Reform Act of 2005 recognizes the monopoly elements in the transmission and distribution chains of the industry structure. That is why the law gave the Nigerian Electricity Regulatory Commission (NERC) the power to set tariffs for both services so as to prevent consumers from being exploited. This is what is done in all electricity markets that are reforming.

It should be noted that the revenue that drives the entire value chain (generation, distribution, transmission—market operator and system operator) comes from consumers through the distribution companies. In this regard, any reform that does address the challenge in the distribution network would collapse as there would not be adequate revenue to fund the rest of the value chain ,that is, generation and transmission.


Disclaimer

Comments expressed here do not reflect the opinions of vanguard newspapers or any employee thereof.