LAGOS â€” The Power Holding Company of Nigeria, PHCN, has absolved itself of blames in the death of two persons who lost their lives in Festac area of Lagos on Monday night after a downpour.
According to reports, Pastor Emeka Okafor and Chinedu Onyeka, both residents of Festac Town died from electric shocks upon stepping into a pool of water that had a broken electric cable from PHCN poles.
In a statement by Mrs. C.V. Amah, Senior Manager (Public Affairs), the PHCN Festac Business District, said yesterday that the electrocution was not due to its facility because there was no power supply in the area at that time.
â€œWe wish to state that the accident was not caused by an electric pole of PHCN as alleged in the stories, as there were no fallen/faulty poles or lines in the area where the incident occurred,” she said.
Furthermore, at the time of the accident, around 8.30pm, there was general outage in entire Festac due to the fact that the Feeders (Festac I, 33KV Line Ex-Amuwo T/S and Festac II, 33KV Line Ex-Ojo T/S) that supply power to Festac Town were out of supply two hours before the incident and all through the rainy period. Our Log books can be verified to ascertain the truth.
The Festac Resident Association Executives can also attest to our stand. It is therefore tantamount to giving a dog a bad name to hang it, to push the blame to PHCN. The faulty line that could have caused the accident was indeed traced to a residentâ€™s generator used in powering 41 Road, D-Close Street lightings,â€ she said.