Yes, it is possible to apply relaxing creams without burning the scalp. These straightening products are so readily available that we tend to forget that they are SERIOUS chemicals that should not be taken for granted!
Firstly, what is the stylist’s attitude to the process she is about to undertake: serious or playful? This is because apart from speed being of the essence, stylist needs to concentrate to make sure the cream does not touch the scalp until the process is almost complete; No room for nonchalance here! As you know, once cream comes in contact with the scalp, you can not avoid burns.
The Angel’s studio HAIR CLINIC
guide to a ‘burn-free-perm’:
- Do know your hair and scalp characteristics
- Do not shampoo hair for about 7 to 14 days before touch-up
- Do not take out braids or weave at least 7 days before touch-up
- Do not swim for at least 7 days before touch-up if you don’t want hairline to burn
- Do not massage, scratch or stimulate scalp in any way for up to 7 days before touch-up
- Do check scalp for bruises and abrasions that will hurt if chemical is applied
- Do apply petroleum jelly to every inch of scalp about 24 hours before application
- Do not wear any head-gear for at least 3 days before so edges won’t burn
- Do have your application done in the morning to avoid perspiration on scalp
- Do avoid using gels, spritz and sprays on hair the week of your touch-up
- Do consult a professional to tell you the ideal product for your hair
- Do use the right strength of product for your hair type
- Do not massage hair while the chemical is on it, rely on cream to straighten
- Do not comb hair while applying cream so comb-teeth will not touch scalp
The best advice though, is for you to ALWAYS utilize the services of a professional every time you want a touch-up; scalp burns MAY lead to bald patches if the follicle is damaged [hair will never grow on that spot again]. Do not ignore the burns when they happen; you MAY need to see a Doctor so that the wounds do not get infected as well.
WAR AGAINST DANDRUFF: START WITH A DRY SCALP
My Anti-Dandruff treatment starts with a dry scalp; contrary to what many are used to. FLAKE KONTROL shampoo must be applied to a dry scalp. Why do I insist that it should be applied on to the dry scalp?
One of the challenges I have faced as a hair consultant is how to give clients suffering from perennial dandruff, a minimum [at least] of 3 weeks free-of-flakes. I have tried many products, preparations and mixtures; I have tried many methods and techniques. Now, I can say for sure that the shampoo I have TRULY works, but, it must be used the way I have described. I can tell you however, that I DO NOT use any other shampoo this way; shampoos are ordinarily poured on to the palms and applied to wet or damp hair. BUT flakes will never be completely cleared from the scalp surface after the shampooing if hair was wet before application.
However, the FLAKE KONTROL scalp crÃ¨me can be used by anyone [male or female] who wants a clean, clear healthy scalp. It is not restricted to only those who suffer from dandruff. At Angel’s studio HAIR CLINIC, we use the scalp cream for every head that we handle. It promotes a healthy scalp because it contains only the purest Natural ingredients [coconut oil, Shea butter, hemp oil, jojoba oil etc] with a generous serving of peppermint oil to counter any itching one may experience from time to time. It is an excellent growing aid, guaranteed to soothe scalp and keep hair moisturized for up to a week without needing to oil the scalp. The scalp cream works best when combined with massage, concentrating on those areas that need ‘help’.
WEEKLY TIP: HAIR
Avoid ‘oiling’ your scalp in the evening if you want to achieve maximum moisturizing for your hair. It is always better to oil hair in the morning/daytime so that hair can retain moisture for as long as possible. When you oil hair in the evening, all that goodness is absorbed by the pillows on your bed leaving hair even drier than before. Oily pillows will also lead to oily faces and [God forbid!] pimples. So beware: apply all moisturizing products during the day for hair to thrive.