Breaking News
Translate

Fire victims send SOS to Delta govt

By Emma Arubi
WARRI—HUNDREDS of victims of last Thursday’s Ogbe-Ijoh market fire disaster in Warri have appealed to the state government to come to their aid to enable them commence business and carry on with their lives.

The traders, still wearing mournful looks, were seen at the market site wondering what befell them, as most of them who spoke to Vanguard said they lost all their articles of trade running into millions of Naira to the mysterious midnight inferno.

Some of the traders claimed the fire was caused by power upsurge from Power Holdings Company of Nigeria, PHCN.

Making the appeal on behalf of the traders, Chairman of Ogbe-Ijoh Governing Council, Elder Anthony Jolomi, stated that the appeal had become imperative as the traders were no longer in a position to build the market, noting that over 5,000 shops were affected.

He said this was the sixth time in recent years the market had been gutted by fire, but was quick to add that this particular one recorded the highest casualty in terms of goods and cash lost.

Jolomi expressed regrets that some people have started building makeshift stalls in the midst of the debris caused by the fire, noting that it would pose problem to them when actual work to clear the debris commences.

Meanwhile, the Ogbe-Ijoh Governing Council has commenced compilation of names of those affected by the fire, even as there are claims and counter claims as to who was in control of the market.


Disclaimer

Comments expressed here do not reflect the opinions of vanguard newspapers or any employee thereof.