By Evelyn Usman
The Lagos State Commissioner of Police, Mr Marvel Akpoyibo, Wednesday paid a condolence visit to the family of the late Charles Okafor who was killed during a raid by some policemen from Ajegunle division, where he said all policemen that took part in the raid had been arrested.
Akpoyibo who was represented by the Commandâ€™s spokesman, Mr Frank Mba, apologised to the bereaved family on the commandâ€™s earlier position that nobody died in the violent protest, attributing its initial claim to information available to it at that particular time.
He assured the bereaved family that investigation into the exactÂ circumstanceS that led to the death of their son was still on-going, adding that the command would not sweep the case under the carpet.
As first step, he informed that all the policemen that carried out the raid that fateful day, had been arrested and were currently at the State Criminal Investigation Department, Panti Yaba, where discreet investigation WAs going on.
If found wanting at the end of the investigation, part of which would be determined by the result of the autopsy report, Akpoyibo said none of them would be spared, recalling three other cases where some policemen who were found culpable for the death of innocent citizens were dismissed and subsequently prosecuted.
He appealed to the bereaved family to be patient with the command.
Family has right to appoint doctor during autopsy
Accompanied by Chairman of the Ajeromi /Ifelodun Local Government Area, Mr Kamal Bayewu, the CP said the bereaved family had a right to appoint a medical doctor of their choice to represent them during the autopsy, noting that way, there would not be room for any allegation of foul play.
The local government chairman on his part, volunteered to pay the bill of the doctor that would represent the bereaved family.
Iâ€™ve taken my sonâ€™s death in good faith, says Father
Responding, Charlesâ€™ father, Mr Wilson Okafor, said he had taken the death of his son in good faith, saying there was nothing he could do to bring him back to life.
Mr Okafor, who is the Pastor of Life of Christ Assembly International, located on Mba Street, said he never sent anyone to protest the death of his son, adding that the action was uncalled for.
â€œI give God thanks for everything. Charles is gone and gone for good. Violent cannot bring him back. I do not even know the people that caused the violence and none of them has even come to pay me a condolence visit,â€ he said.
He expressed optimism that the police would do justice to the incident even as he expressed gratitude to the local government chairman for what he described as kind gesture rendered.
LASCO scribe quizzed
Meanwhile, the man who allegedly spearheaded the violent protest that resulted in the death of a middle-aged man and wanton destruction of public property including those of the local government, Mr Dagga Tola, has been invited for questioning at the SCID Panti.
Dagga who is the Lagos State chapterâ€™s Secretary of Labour and Civil Society Coalition, LASCO, had in a statement signed by him, said the number of lives lost during the protest rally last Saturday were four.
But during preliminary investigation, Dagga was said to have been unable to produce the identities of the persons the statement claimed lost their lives except that of Charles Okafor. At presstime, Dagga was still being held by the Police.