Breaking News
Translate

Kerosine scarcity hits Aba

Aba—Residents of Aba in Abia State have appealed to the NNPC management to make kerosene available at its mega-service stations in the state.

A cross-section of the people, who spoke with newsmen in Aba, yesterday said  that the measure would alleviate the suffering of a greater majority of the people, who depend on kerosene for cooking in particular.

“A greater majority of Nigerians depends on kerosene for their daily living than petrol and diesel,” they said, adding that the product was predominantly used by the average Nigerians.

The call followed an acute shortage of the product in the town, a situation that has been causing serious hardship and concerns among the people in recent times.

An entrepreneur, Mr Sento Kanu, said, “those who own cars in Aba are less than 10 percent of the population of the town, but the remaining 90 percent need kerosene either for lighting or cooking,’’ he said.

Similarly, an Aba-based Newspaper Publisher, Mr Cyracus Patrick, said that the cost of the product had gone beyond the reach of the “common man.”

While commending the NNPC for establishing affiliate stations in the commercial city and other parts of the country, residents appealed to the corporation to give priority to the supply of kerosene.

Kerosene is sold at N100 per litre at the Independent Marketers’ Service Stations as against the approved pump price of N50 per litre, it was observed.

A supervisor at the Aba NNPC mega-station, Mr Michael Agwunobi, said the station had not received kerosene since it commenced operation in November 2009.

Agwunobi said, “residents have continued to inundate us with the request for kerosene, but we are helpless because we have not received the product since we started.’’

He said that the supply of petrol to the station was regular and appealed to NNPC to make kerosene available to the station “to enable us to serve the poor masses.’’


Disclaimer

Comments expressed here do not reflect the opinions of vanguard newspapers or any employee thereof.