Breaking News
Translate

FG vows to deal with perpetrators of Jos mayhem

By Ise-Oluwa Ige

ABUJA—The Federal Government yesterday, in Abuja, expressed sadness over the fresh extra-judicial killings in Jos South Local Government Area of Plateau State, vowing to deal with all those involved in the mayhem according to the law.

Prince Adetokunbo Kayode, SAN, who assured citizens that there would be no recurrence of the unfortunate incident again said emergency security measures had been put in place by government to forestall any further reprisal attack.

Asks Nigerians to forward complaints to C”ttee on Torture
The occasion yesterday was the presentation of draft national policy on torture to Prince Adetokunbo Kayode, SAN, by the National Committee on Torture.

He said the draft policy came at a time when it was most needed, adding that he would take the input of the nation’s security chiefs in the country before taking out a bill on the matter.

He, however, pleaded with anybody who has petition or complaints with regards to the unfortunate Jos incident or those that occurred before now in either Jos, the Plateau capital or any part of the country not to delay further in forwarding them to the National Committee on Torture for immediate probe and necessary actions.

He disclosed yesterday that the committee has been empowered to receive and investigate communications from Nigerians on cases of torture and extra-judicial executions.

To look into Al-Jazeera documentary on extra-judicial killings
“For emphasis, the committee will investigate reports from the National Human Rights Commission and local and International human rights NGOs,” Adeokunbo said, adding “the documentary of Aljazeera and the reports of Amnesty International are relevant material in this regard.

“Ultimately, we realize that these interventions will only be sustainable when we adopt a holistic view of our criminal justice system and the reforms required.

“The process of reform is on-going. The Federal Ministry of Justice will pursue reforms across all institutions of the justice sector.

“I have indicated that I will shortly be presenting a memorandum to the Federal Executive Council on specific interventions that should urgently be taken with a view to restoring effectiveness and citizens confidence in our justice system,” he added.

Over 200 people, mostly women and children, were murdered in the early hours of Sunday following attacks on Dogo-Na-Hawa, Ratsat and Jeji villages in Foron district, Jos South Local Government Area, Plateau State.


Disclaimer

Comments expressed here do not reflect the opinions of vanguard newspapers or any employee thereof.