INEC : Uba denies plans to rig election

By  Dayo Benson, Politcal Editor

AWKA—Labour Party, LP, candidate in Saturday’s governorship election in Anambra, Dr Andy Uba, has denied insinuations  that INEC chairman, Professor Maurice Iwu, would rig the poll in his favour because he was instrumental to his (Iwu) appointment,  just as he said that the poll will be determined on candidates individual merit and not party platform.

Dr Uba who spoke in an interview with journalists, said that the INEC chairman got the job on his own merit.  According to him, “there is no truth in the rumours at all. I don’t know where they got that story from. The man is doing the job he is supposed to do. A committee appointed him to office not me. If you know someone a for long time, does it mean that he will sacrifice his job for you. There is no truth in the story.”

Speaking further he said, “this election will be about what you can do not your party platform. I have the structure and I have the people. If they know that I can do something for my people, they will follow me even if I am in party XYX, it does not matter to them.

They will say this man will help us change the state, he can bring employment, and he can help the pregnant woman to deliver safely. He can assist our agriculture. That is what will matter in this election,  party will make very little impact. It is what the candidates can offer to the people that will count.”