Kaltungo (Gombe) â€” The communal violence that started on Saturday between the people of Dadiya and Kaltungo in Gombe, has claimed at least six lives, with several others injured.
Secretary of the Red Cross in charge of Kaltungo Division, Mr Jonah Galadima, said on Wednesday that he had seen six corpses at the spot of the conflict.
He said the situation had been brought under control on Monday but the two sides clashed again on Tuesday night, forcing the authorities to draft soldiers to help the mobile policemen on ground to restore law and order.
He said about eight pick-up vans loaded with soldiers were drafted to the troubled spot on Wednesday.
He said many people were missing in the bush and had been making frantic phone calls for help.
“We want to get into the bush to assist but the situation is too risky because it is not everybody that knows the Red Cross. We are trying to secure security escort before going to assist,” Galadima said.
DSP Abdullahi Kamba, Gombe State Police Commandâ€™s spokesperson, told NAN that five persons had been confirmed dead and several others injured.
Kamba said that more than 30 persons had been apprehended in connection with the conflict but that he could not whether or not soldiers had been drafted to the area.
Bloody conflict between Kaltungo and Dadiya people over farmland had become a recurring event and that all efforts to bring lasting peace to the area had been unsuccessful.
As at Monday, 817 people had been displaced and over 250 houses burnt, according to Red Cross statistics.
The Emir of Kaltungo, Alhaji Sale Mohammad, and the Paramount ruler of Dadiya, Alhaji Adamu Abubakar, have urged the state government to take drastic measures to resolve the problem once and for all.