By Demola Akinyemi
Ilorin â€” Tragedy struck, yesterday, in Ilorin as two students, including a final year student of the University of Ilorin, an only child of the parents, were roasted alive in a fire incident.
The deceased, Adebowale Adewoye, a final year student of the Department of Mathematics and Statistics and Adesola Aremu, a new student at Kwara State Polytechnic, Ilorin, were among the nine occupants of a building in the Gaa Akanbi area where the incident occurred.
How it started
An eyewitness told Vanguard that the fire,Â suspected to have started from an electrical fault, also left other people with serious injuries while the four bedroom flat located at Odo-Owa Street, Gaa-Akanbi area of the town was totally destroyed.
The source added that a widow, Mrs Adeniyi, who is a pensioner, just completed the building as her husbandÂ could not complete it before he died some years ago.
The family, now homeless, appealed to the government to come to their aid.
One of the occupants, Michael Adewuyi, who escaped unhurt explained that the fire broke out about 1: 30am while they were all asleep.
Other occupants included a 60-year-old widow, her children, daughter in-law and some other relations of the family.
The survivors said two days before the incidence, one of them had noticed a spark in the electricity line that supplies power to the building.
Adewuyi said theyÂ became aware of the outbreak when one of them who first noticed it at the sitting room, alerted the others. He added that those who escaped had to break through a window in one of the rooms with some escaping unhurt and others sustaining varied degrees of injuries.
He said the two that died were seriously burnt by the inferno while trying to find an escape route, adding that their remains had been deposited in the mortuary.
The Police Public Relations Officers of the Kwara State Police Command, Ezekiel Dabo, said he has heard of the incident but was yet to be officially informed.