Breaking News
Translate

Police arrest 10 suspected kidnappers in Edo

By Simon Ebegbulem
BENIN — Edo State  Police Command has arrested ten suspected kidnapers allegedly involved in the recent spate of kidnapping in the state.

Seven suspected armed robbers were also gun down during a gun duel with policemen at Ekpoma, weekend.
Meanwhile, the state Police Commissioner, Mr Danlami Yar’Adua, has narrated how three men of the Joint Task Force in the state, tagged Operation Thunderstorm were shot dead at Ogbemudia Farm while their patrol vehicle was burnt down last Wednesday.

He disclosed that four of the suspected robbers involved in that operation have been arrested by the police.
Danlami, who briefed newsmen, yesterday while parading the suspects, said they had confessed to being behind the spate of kidnapping in different parts of the state, adding that they were arrested following a tip-off by members of the public.

According to him, “the command has continued to take necessary actions to ensure that the good people of Edo State remain secured.

“Operatives of the command, in a tip-off, arrested one Amos Ogbonani who, until his arrest, was believed to be a member of several notorious gangs. On interrogation, he confessed  to have taken part in numerous cases of kidnapping in Edo State.

“The suspect led the operatives to arrest others and all of them confessed their involvement in cases of kidnapping in Edo and Ondo States, including the kidnap-ping of a lecturer with Edo State College of Agriculture.”

“But prior to the arrest, intelligence report had implicated Bright Ebiara and Ebis William as notorious criminals.”
On how the police killed seven armed robbers during a gun duel, Commissioner Danlami narrated that “ men of the command responded to a call that hoodlums were in an uncompleted building along Abada street, Ekpoma, where victims of kidnapping had been rescued a week ago.

“They were attacked by the hoodlums, and this resulted in a shoot out and at the end, seven of them were killed”.
On how three men of the Joint Task Force lost their lives, the Commissioner said that “ my men were there in the night and this people came and surprisingly attacked them. My men were able to take cover but unfortunately we lost a constable who was earlier hit by the bullet.

“The robbers were too many and at the end of the day, they were able to burn the police patrol vehicle down. The other two people that died in the incident were other members of Task Force.

“But we have been able to arrest four members of the gang that caused that havoc. Most of them are Fulanis from Kogi State.

“They are with us now and they have confessed to their crime. Very soon, all of them will be arrested and the arms they used will be recovered. But I assure you that we lost no single arm during that encounter.”


Disclaimer

Comments expressed here do not reflect the opinions of vanguard newspapers or any employee thereof.