Breaking News
Translate

Fire guts house in Bayelsa

By  Samuel Oyadongha
Yenagoa—A dawn inferno reportedly caused by electrical fault yesterday destroyed property worth over N.5 million at Igbogene suburb of Yenagoa, Bayelsa State.

The inferno that started at a building housing some shops, which also serves as residential building, was, however, prevented from spreading to other houses in the sparsely populated area.

One of the occupants of the shops in the building, who usually pass the night there, narrowly escaped being trapped in the inferno as he was said to have spent the night outside his shop with his family.

The victim, Mr. Ebiowei Godday, told newsmen at the scene of the fire that he could have been trapped in the fire if he had not left his shop to spend the night with his family members.

A graduate of English of Rivers State College of Education, Godday, a teacher at a private school, said items destroyed in the inferno include valuable books, clothing, television and radio sets as well as mattress and chairs.

He said but for the quick intervention of neighbours who fought gallantly to put out the raging fire, it could have spread to nearby shops and buildings.

Godday, who is married with three kids, pleaded with government and other well meaning Bayelsans for assistance as, according to him, he is still awaiting his call up letter for the National Youth Service Corps (NYSC).

The owner of the building, Mr. Joel Edem, also called for government’s assistance for the victim.
He said he received a call in the early hours of the day informing him of the fire by neighbours who helped to put it out.

The disaster management coordinator of the state chapter of the Red Cross Society, Mr. Mark Minah, who was one of the first to respond to the distress call, pleaded for more caution by residents of the state to prevent fire.


Disclaimer

Comments expressed here do not reflect the opinions of vanguard newspapers or any employee thereof.