Asabaâ€”TRAGEDY struck yesterday in Asaba, Delta State capital, as a family of four, made up of father, mother and two children were electrocuted in their living apartment.
The sad incident occurred at a building located adjacent the state headquarters of the Federal Road Safety Commission (FRSC) at about 7pm on Sunday, when a high tension cable fell on top of their roof and caught fire.
The electrocuted father of the family, is said to hail from the eastern part of the country.
Eyewitness told our reporter that when the cable fell on top of the roof, â€œone of the neighbours ran out and started shouting â€˜come out, come outâ€™, but as soon as the father of the house came out, while carrying one of the children with him, they were instantly electrocuted as he touched the iron burglary proofâ€.
The witness further said that the wife came out too with the other kid, a suckling, who was dedicated in the church penultimate Sunday and they were also electrocuted, as the woman tried to enquire from the husband what was the matter at the gate.
When our reporter visited the scene yesterday morning, the corpses have been removed while the falling high tension cable was lying on the ground.
Contacted, spokesman of the Power Holding Company of Nigeria (PHCN) Mrs. Esther Okolie told Vanguard on phone yesterday that â€œit is unfortunate. We have been warning people living under our high tension cables to relocate because we (PHCN) have the right of way.
We have been sensitizing people about the danger of living under high tension cables but they are not listening. We have different cases of such we are presently handling. We had written the Ministry of Environment and police, yet such occupants have remained there. Like the vehicle you drive,Â it could develop fault and that is why we are warning people not to live under the high tensionâ€.