By Peter Duru
MAKURDI – An unsavory fear has gripped residents of Gboko town after a family of five, resident at the Mkar area of the town, were confirmed dead after a meal of guinea corn.
The unfortunate incident occurred in the household of a popular wood seller, Mr. Aondohemen Iorumbur, a native of Konshisha Local Government who resides directly opposite the NKST Christian Hospital Mkar in the ancient city of Gboko.
According to eyewitness report, the bizarre incident which shocked residents of the town was the first of its kind in the history of Gboko.
Our source noted that amongst the victims was the aged mother of Mr. Aondohemen Iorumbur, Mama Nyiengohol Iorumbur; his four kids, Ioryoosu, Terungwa, Msugter and Msuur.
The deceased family members were said to have suddenly manifested strange ailments after their dinner and minutes later went into coma.
It was also gathered that when a neighbour of the victims noticed the strange happenings at the home of the Iorrumburs, he raised an alarm. However, the intervention of passersby could not help as the victims were already dead.
They were said to have been rushed to a private hospital in Gboko where doctors suspected that they must have died from food poisoning, though autopsy is still being awaited.
When Vanguard paid a visit to the home of the victims, no one was available to comment on the issue. But a neighbour, who craved anonymity, lamented the incident saying that the entire neigbourhood was in shock and could not believe what has befallen the entire Iorumbur household.