Breaking News
Translate

Killer-beans kills toddler, 63 hospitalised in Bauchi

By Patience Ogbodo
A three year-old girl has been confirmed dead while 63 people has been hospitalised after taking a meal of a delicacy made from beans known as moi-moi in Nahuta village in the Toro Local Government Area of Bauchi State.

This was disclosed by the state secretary of the Red Cross, Mr. Adamu Abubakar, who said the people were brought to the Specialists Hospital, Bauchi, yesterday evening in buses and pick-up vans after they consumed the delicacy and felt unconscious.

According to Malam Sale Ali, leader of the household where the food was cooked, he gave out three measures of beans from his old stock to his wife to prepare moi-moi for the family to break their first fasting.

According to him: “The food was shared out to all members of my household as well as neighbours. Soon after consumption, people started vomiting, passing out stool and getting unconscious, then we took them to the hospital.”

One of the victims, 25-year-old Malam Safiyanu, said he was given two moulds of moi-moi which he took after breaking his fasting but started feeling uncomfortable.

He added that ”the last thing I remember was that I fell down before I finally found myself in the hospital.”

The Deputy Director, Infectious Diseases in the state Ministry of Health, Alhaji Aminu Abubakar, who confirmed the incident, said symptoms discovered on the victims were severe stomach pain, vomiting and diarrhoea.

He said they have discovered that the beans used in making the delicacy was contaminated from the chemical used in its long storage, assuring that a laboratory test will be conducted on the beans to know the type of chemical used in storing them.

He stated that the ministry has already dispatched a team to the village and surrounding markets to trace the origin of the beans and that the households affected will be disinfected to forestall any outbreak.


Disclaimer

Comments expressed here do not reflect the opinions of vanguard newspapers or any employee thereof.