The Ekiti State Police Command has redeployed some of its officers posted to areas where the Aug. 15 senatorial re-run election will be held, as part of security measures to ensure the success of the poll. A reliable source said yesterday in Ado-Ekiti that the Divisional Police Officers (DPOs) in the five local government areas of Ekiti North Senatorial District had been replaced by new officers.
It was also gathered that detachments of ant-riot policemen from neighbouring states will arrive in the state very soon, to boost security arrangements. The source explained that the command took the decision, following petitions received from some political leaders in the state, alleging bias on the part of some policemen in the affected divisions.
â€œAs part of our security measures and the need to be seen as neutral, the command ordered the immediate transfer of all officers out of the divisions where the re-run election will take place. â€œThey will be replaced by policemen from other areas, where there is no election. Anti-riot policemen from three states will also be brought to complement our efforts,â€ the source said.
The Court of Appeal in Ilorin on July 8 nullified the election of Mr Ayo Arise of PDP and ordered a by-election for the seat within 90 days. The senatorial district comprised five local government areas, including Ikole, Oye, Ido/Osi, Moba and Ilejemeje, which have 56 wards and 714 polling units. Arise had approached the appellate court to challenge the verdict of the Bukar Bwalla-led Ekiti Election Petition Tribunal of Aug. 27, 2008 which nullified his election on grounds of irregularities. The AC candidate, Mr Olubunmi Adetunmbi, had challenged the declaration of Arise as winner by INEC.