By Evelyn Usman
The entire Check Point village in Ibiye, Morogbo area of Lagos, was yesterday, shaken to its very foundation following the startling discovery of three lifeless bodies of members of same family in their living room.
The deceased, comprised a man identified as Mr Moshood Odewale, his wife and his 70-year-old mother in-law.
The tragic incident said to be the first of its kind in the history of the village, was suspected to have been caused by fume from a power generating set.
Two other children of the late Moshood Odewale were said to have been rescued from the room by sympathisers, unconscious.
Vanguard gathered that the chances of the childrenâ€™s survival were slim, as doctors in an undisclosed hospital were reportedly still battling to save them.
At 3 p.m, the victims who are both females of ages 18 and 23 respectively, were reportedly still unconscious.
The late Mr. Moshood was said to have put on the power generating set which was kept at an enclosed corridor by his room at about 8.30pm.
Apprehension, however, set in when at about 9 a.m. yesterday, no member of the family was seen outside, a situation described as unusual.
Out of curiosity, a co-tenant said to have arrived from the 6 a.m. mass reportedly knocked on their door severally without a response.
Worried at the development, the neighbours, according to the Lagos State Police Public Relations Officer, Mr Frank Mba, reported the case to policemen at Morogbo division where policemen were dispatched to the scene.
â€œOn reaching the house, the door was forced opened by the policemen. But to their astonishment, five persons were met in sleeping position. On closer examination, it was discovered that three of them, the father, mother and mother in-law were stone dead, while two children of the couple were alive but unconscious.
The policemen rushed the girls to a private hospital, while the corpses of their parents and grandma were taken to Badagry General Hospital. The case is being investigatedâ€, Mba stated.